Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Zundka

Remind people (of course those who know of it) of Zundka bhakri and their mouth will start watering. Here is a recipe I tried today. It made it for the first time but it turned out awesome. Navin and I liked it so much that it urged me to write down the recipe here. You can eat it with Chapati or Bhakri (perfect combo).

Ingredients - Serves 4 people
1 big onion - chopped
1 cup shredded coconut
6-8 peppercorns
4-5 cloves
4 garlic cloves
3/4 cup besan (gram flour)
3 tsp oil
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 inch ball of tamarind
1 tsp coriander
5-6 red chillies
1 1/2 inch Cinnamon sticks (I used powder)
Cut vegetables - you can use drumsticks, radish - I thought I had radish and realized I only had okra (lady finger; bhindi). So I used that and carrots. I cut okra length size in halves and carrots into tiny pieces

Salt to taste

Procedure:
Roast the gram flour till the raw smell goes away. Keep it aside.
Take 1/2 tsp of oil and fry coriander seeds and red chillies. Grind it to powder and keep aside.

Heat 1 tsp of oil and fry 1/2 cup onion, garlic cloves, pepper; until onion turns golden brown. Add the shredded coconut, cloves, turmeric and cinnamon to it. Fry till coconut turn light brown. Keep aside and let the mixture cool; then grind along with tamarind to fine paste.

Heat 2 tsp oil and fry rest of the onion, add the coconut paste to it. Add the coriander and chilly powder to it. Add 1 1/2 cup of water. Add salt.

Add the vegetables and let it cook for 10 minutes.

Add the gram flour 1-2 spoons at a time. Mix well until you add all the flour and the mixture becomes dry.
I added less flour; I am planning to pack it for lunch tomorrow and did not want to go too dry. 


Picture below - doesn't look too tempting but it was too good!


No comments: