Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thalipit - one kind of Indian Roti

My mom always made the thalipit with rice flour. Very easy to make - mix rice flour with some green chillies, coconut and onion, coriander leaves, some salt and make soft dough. And then THAAP (put a ball of dough on a frying pan with your hand and spread in shape of a roti). My Mom loves to eat these with loni (butter). Before putting it on the pan, put some oil and add some mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds start to burst, put the dough over them.
This adds a nice crunchy taste to the thalipit but it also makes the cooking range so messy with the mustard seeds everywhere.

The below recipe is slightly different. My colleague at work gave it to me.

Grate all vegetables in a vessel. You can use carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, capsicum, radish anything you like. The most interesting ingredient however was cucumber! And that brought a very different flavor. Don't forget to add finely chopped onions as well. Then add some garam masala, salt to taste. Some grated coconut if you like the taste of coconut. I know many who don't.

Add some finely cut green chillies and some coriander leaves. Add some water and then start adding rice flour to the mixture. I replaced rice flour with wheat flour. That brings a huge difference in taste but I prefer wheat over rice. Add enough flour to make very soft dough.

Make small balls out of the dough. Put 2-3 drops of oil on a frying pan. Take one ball of dough on the pan, then press them with your fingers to flatten it. You can soak your fingers in water as you press the dough such that the dough does not stick to your fingers. Cover it (I used a lid of a wider vessel) for sometime. This allows the other side of the roti to cook in the steam inside the lid. When one side is done, turn to fry the other side too.

You can also use the mustard seeds like the way explained for other version of the thalipit.

My sister shared a handy tip with me when I told her how I hurt my back standing for such a long time cooking these rotis.
She said, you can take a thin cloth, soak it in water. Then place the ball of dough inside the cloth. Press in form of thin roti. With a cloth it is easy and also the rotis become thinner. Open the cloth, place flattened dough side on the frying pan and gently remove the cloth. Its easier than how I managed to explain it here.
Enjoy these rotis with some green chutney or achar.

No comments: